What to Expect
First of all, neurofeedback training is a painless, non-invasive procedure. There is no need to be worried or concerned about your visit.
In-Take and Initial Recording:
Prior to the in-take appointment we ask that you fill out a Personal History Form and a Symptom Survey. At the in-take appointment client and practitioner review symptoms and goals.
A recording of your brainwaves is used to determine where to start. This is not intended to provide a diagnosis, but used to evaluate the state of a clients brainwave frequencies. It is made while the client is sitting quietly in a relaxed state; both with open eyes, and then with eyes closed. This recording is made by placing a nineteen channel cap on your head and inserting water-soluble gel into each of the 19 electrodes. This is not painful but may feel cool or pokey and it will leave some residue in your hair.
Based on this recording, we can identify certain frequency bands as areas needing improvement, and judge to what degree the symptoms may be resolved using neurofeedback training.
How to Prepare:
- Try to get plenty of rest the night before.
- Don’t party, drink, or do anything upsetting or out of the ordinary the night before.
- Wash your hair the morning of session and dry it thoroughly. Do not use conditioner, gels, mouse, spray or other hair products.
- Eat at least one hour prior to the session.
- Please bring a list of your medications and when you took the last dose.
- The intial Qeeg will last about an hour.
- Your hair will be somewhat sticky from the EEG gel so bring a comb or brush.
- You will be able to return to daily activities (e.g., work) immediately but may feel tired after the session.
Neurotherapy Training Sessions:
We use a variety of different technologies in our work. Each session can be one or a combination of them. This is determined by the practitioner based on each client's needs and goals.
- LORETA Z-Score training is painless and non-invasive. A nineteen channel cap is placed on the head for the initial EEG reading and the training sessions. For the training sessions, brain waves are monitored by means of an amplifier, which is a computer based instrument that processes the signal and provides the proper feedback. You will be asked to sit in front of a computer monitor and watch a video. The video responds to the specific criteria determined by the individual's brain training protocol. Gradually, the brain responds to the cues that are being given, and 'learns' new brain wave patterns.
- Neurofield technology is a low intensity, pulsed electromagnetic field (pEMF) that works to replenish energy and reduce stress in the brain and body. There are many therapeutic benefits to pEMFs including; reduced inflammation, pain relief, and improved circulation. We use it to prepare for, and complement, our LORETA Z-Score training.
- tDCS/tACS is a device used to stimulate certain brain areas in order to create the conditions for neuro-plasticity. When used in combination with LORETA Z-Score training, the brain is able to more quickly learn and change.
HeartMath EmWave Pro is a biofeedback device that allows you to see real time feedback about how your response to stress effects your heart rate and nervous system. You can also learn to positively change your emotional response to stressful situations and actually impact your brains’ ability to achieve cognitive performance, mental clarity, and effective decision-making.
Custom training protocols are created for each client.
Cost per session: $195 (Packages of 10 sessions are available at a discount)
About our two-week intensive programs
- Sessions twice a day, Monday through Friday (weekends off for sight-seeing)
- Each Neurofeedback session is approximately an hour; one session in the morning and one in the afternoon
- The client wears a full 19 channel Electro Cap several times over the course of the treatment.
- Specific nutritional supplements are recommended as aftercare
- Local massage and cranio-sacral therapists are available for body work to facilitate the process
We often recommend a two week training program. This is our most effective treatment schedule and works well for those who come from out of town.
Clients from out of town stay in local hotels, motels, or cabin rentals in the Santa Barbara area. The local airport is Santa Barbara (SBA) and is within ten minutes driving distance. The closest international airport is Los Angeles International (LAX) and is approximately 100 miles south of the institute.
Cost: $3800 (this does not include lodging or transportation)
NFB (neurofeedback) has evolved into multiple channel application due to advances in technology. We teach and have been using LORETA Z-score NFB. This requires 19 channels (full cap). Client training is completely individualized - there are no arbitrary choices in regard to location or frequencies trained. At the beginning of the 2 week intensive a intitial recording of brainwave frequencies is made and symptoms are matched with brain locations (Brodmann Areas) and aberrant z-scores for absolute power, relative power, amplitude asymetry, coherence, absolute phase, phase lock and phase reset - these all are measured according to z-score database matched for age, sex, handedness, eyes open/closed conditions. This is how the training is individualized: only those metrics that are actually 'off' are trained.